Hi,

if you haven't come across them already, you may find these books
interesting:

Broad, Bob (2003). _What We Really Value: Beyond Rubrics in Teaching and
Assessing Writing. Logan, UT: Utah State University Press_. (see
http://www.usu.edu/usupress/individl/What%20We%20Really%20Value.htm).

Huot, Brian (2002). _(Re)Articulating Writing Assessment._ Logan, UT: Utah
State University Press.
(see http://www.usu.edu/usupress/individl/(Re)Articulating.htm).

Broad in particular discusses a form of qualitative inquiry to address
problems of decontextualized approaches.

Doreen

*******************************
Doreen Starke-Meyerring, Ph.D.
Centre for the Study and Teaching of Writing
McGill University
3700 Rue McTavish
Montreal, QC CANADA  H3A 1Y2

Tel.: (514) 398-1308