Hello Doug,
I too have recently had cause to consider the issue of  mass testing methods

of  literacy/writing competance and have found some help in an article
written by Casey Jones : "The Relationship Between Writing Centers and
Improvement in Writing Ability: An Assessment of the Literature"
_Education_Vol. 122  No.1. I found access to this article in full text PDF
format on-line, but no longer remember where (possibly EBSCO). (it is worth
tracking down as it is couched in terms likely to be meaningful to those who

put a good deal of faith in quantative testing-if you can't locate it or the

journal easily I would be willing to fax it to you. ). I also found useful
the
articles found at the following links:
http://wac.colostate.edu/llad/v3n2/olds.pdf
http://wac.colostate.edu/journal/vol5/lord.pdf