Hi Doug.

  Like many of your respondents, I won the "anti competency test" fight
in antediluvian times, so my references are probably too old to be of
much help.  I did, though, find Ed White's book enormously helpful in
marshalling arguments to present to a reluctant administration.  Even
earlier books which I found useful were Writing Assessment: Issues and
Strategies (ed. Karen L. Greenberg et al) and Literacy as a Human
Problem (ed. James C. Raymond).  I'd be happy to bequeath both these
books to you at the upcoming Inkshed!

                             Kenna