Hi Doug,

I just happen to be reading a graduate student's comps in which the matter
of assessment of competence is being reviewed in relation to language
minority students.  The sources I've picked out below, however, seem to me
likely to be applicable to the kind of argument you are making for
challenging the relevance of competency tests for any student.

Hope they are some use!

Cheers,

Wendy

Alderson, J.C. and Banerjee, J. (2001).  Language Testing and Assessment
(Part 1).  In Language Teaching, Vol 34, pp. 213-236.
Alderson, J.C. and Banerjee, J. (2002).  Language Testing and Assessment
(Part 2).  In Language Teaching, Vol 35, pp. 79-113.

Hamp-Lyons, L. (2001).  Ethics, fairness(es), and developments in language
testing. In Studies in Language Testing…11.  Cambridge; UK:  Cambridge
University Press.

Wendy Strachan PhD.
Director, Centre for Writing-Intensive Learning
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
Office: AQ 6205
Tel: 604-291-3122