Just to be clear Frank,

The statement that "over a third of Parkinson's patients suffer from dementia that robs them of the ability to communicate, make decisions, think logically and interface with the world," is wrong, and the correction is an important one. What is true is that "over one-third of all Parkinson's patients will eventually suffer from some form of dementia." At any moment in time far less than one third of PD patients suffer from dementia. It is a late stage symptom. It would be like saying that one in four people have cancer when the fact is that one in four will have cancer at some time in their lives. Big difference.

As for the comment  that "I could not imagine a group making these decisions and providing all support for themselves particularly if they are afflicted with a disease that not only robs you of your ability to care for yourself but also frequently robs you of the ability to think clearly and make rational and logical decisions. It seems that Ray is still in full control of her faculties and I am glad of that," I assume that you weren't being deliberately offensive or patronizing.

Greg

FrankandTeri <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Interesting observation Dr. Fink.

It is human nature to believe that no one can possibly feel or understand a
condition unless they have experienced it themselves. It is unfortunate
that someone might feel that way because they isolate themselves from a
support organization which can help them deal with this disease. It would
be a terrible day if only people stricken with Parkinson's were supporting
each other. I could not imagine a group making these decisions and
providing all support for themselves particularly if they are afflicted with
a disease that not only robs you of your ability to care for yourself but
also frequently robs you of the ability to think clearly and make rational
and logical decisions. It seems that Ray is still in full control of her
faculties and I am glad of that. I would not wish the dementia that is so
common in Parkinson's on anyone.

Come to think of that. Most discussion on this board (at least those that
are not attacking the president) seem to focus on movement, pain, sleep etc.
Somewhere over a third of Parkinson's patients suffer from dementia that
robs them of the ability to communicate, make decisions, think logically and
interface with the world. Give me the shakes, stalls, falls and pain any
day but let retain my ability to communicate and reason. Does anyone have
any information on research and treatments focused on controlling and
improving dementia?

I believe we need each other and all that are willing to help and support.

Regards

Frank