I hope that all of you who are involved in the verbal "war" regarding
politics are using your impressive writing skills to communicate to
President Bush and your senators and representatives.  A few months ago, I
wrote a letter to the President requesting that he modify his position on
stem cell research.  Then, after making some comments regarding other
national priorities, I said:

"For many millions of us and our families, however, day-to-day living is
impacted or defined by debilitating illness (in my case, Parkinson's
Disease) or injury.  I strongly believe that one of major successes of your
Presidency could involve declaring "war" on debilitating diseases.  At no
previous time in our history have we had the necessary technology for
ensuring success."

I think this is the kind of war we need.  It can be won.  The favorable
impact would be enormous for the many millions of us now suffering from
debilitating illness and injury, and for the additional millions who will
experience such misfortune.  I want a President willing to assume leadership
in this type of war.

Dave Bergford