Great points Mary Ann, as the elderly population has ballooned
while the younger work force popultation has not kept pace.
But, this debate will probably end up being partisan in Congress.
My two cents
Now, I know most folks on this list are in the liberal camp, and I am
not a liberal.  I am not sure I am a conservative either, since I really
do like to examine new ideas and how they could benefit society.
It will be a tough road, and the more programs that are created or
the larger they get, the more tax dollars it will take.  Too heavy of a tax
take away from the individuals (if it's income tax).  This hurts the family
and if you increase business taxes tooo much, you hurt the work force
and job creation.  To increase tax on consumables, you hurt consumption
and productivity suffers.  I think I pay way too much in taxes as it is.
Perhaps a flat tax of some kind would be something to look at.
Get rid of the IRS tax code, and loop holes, keep the mortgage deduction
though.
So, when politicians start making promises of this and that, I am very
suspect, and Sen Kerry is the most liberal of the lot.  Liberal with giving
away my hard earned money.  Kerry is more liberal than Gore. At least
Gore was a fiscal conservative, more or less.
So, to me, it is like a huge math puzzle, and when folks like Kerry promise
affordable health care for everyone, a HUGE RED FLAG should appear
if you own a business, or have an income.  The whole US population
demographics have drastically changed over the last 15 years, and the
ratio of folks paying into programs (soc. security, etc.) has changed so
much
that the work force will not be able to support us old folks anymore.
Now, if you do not own a business or have an income, but have
social security and medicare, then your point of view is different.
I most certainly DO NOT want my kids tax burden to increase because
their Dad needs his meds, or an MRI.  My kids should not be paying for
my treatments through their tax dollars.

The bottom line is simple:
Watching Kerry and Bush will be very interesting, and I am thankful for
the democratic process in this great Republic.
Jeff Bayard
Help Fund the Cure!
http://dialforacure.com