MINNESOTA: BIORESEARCH: Stem Cell Research Bill Advances
BY TOM MAJESKI - Pioneer Press

Posted on Fri, Mar. 12, 2004

A bill that would permit and regulate embryonic stem cell research in Minnesota passed a Senate committee on a 6-3 vote
Thursday and was sent to the Senate floor.

The issue ignited a national controversy last year because extracting the stem cells kills embryos. The Bush
administration has banned the use of federal money on embryonic stem cell research unless the cells come from a limited
line of embryos.

But researchers say the approved embryos were created early in the research and likely were contaminated with mice
cells. They may also contain mice viruses. Many universities, including the University of Minnesota, now are raising
private funding to pay for research on stem cells from other embryos.

One of the bill's sponsors, Sen. Steve Kelley, DFL-Hopkins, called the bill a balanced approach to a controversial
issue. He said embryonic stem cell research fits into Gov. Tim Pawlenty's plan to turn Minnesota into a bioscience
center.

But Pawlenty spokesman Daniel Wolter said the governor has neither reviewed the bill nor taken a position on it.

Sen. Sean Nienow, R-Cambridge, was among those voting against the bill. He said the measure gave researchers too much
leeway.

"In my opinion, the scope of it is just breathtaking," Nienow said. "I would like to see some limitations. I don't know
that we serve the public interest at this point, for example, by allowing human cloning to obtain embryonic stem cells
and to allow for research and experimentation without some limits."

University researchers said it would be a mistake not to conduct research on both types of stem cells. One type might
work well for treating Parkinson's but not heart disease, they said.

Dr. Catherine Verfaillie, who heads the university's Stem Cell Institute, told lawmakers that adult stem cells, while
potent, appear less versatile than embryonic stem cells.

Most adult stem cells have built-in time clocks, she said. As the cells divide, the clocks tell them they are getting
old. That doesn't happen to embryonic stem cells until they become body tissue.

Verfaillie said the university wants to be in a position to be able to study "both sides of the coin. We're scientists
and I have no preference over which of these cells will work."

The bill, SF2077, is online at http://www.leg.state.mn.us/

Tom Majeski, who covers medical news, can be reached at [log in to unmask] or 651-222-2346

SOURCE: St. Paul Pioneer Press, MN
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/politics/8165531.htm

Reference:

Minnesota Senate SF2077 - Status - Text - Stem Cell Research State Policy
http://tinyurl.com/22rpq

Dr. Catherine Verfaillie, MD
http://www1.umn.edu/stemcell/sci/page/fac-mbr/verfaillie/verfaillie.shtml

Science Friday: November 7, 2003: Hour Two: Minnesota Remote: Stem Cells
Dr. Catherine Verfaillie, Dan Kaufman, Stanimir Vuk-Pavlovic, and Jeff Kahn
Listen to a Great 1 Hour Audio Archive: http://tinyurl.com/2kkhn
Text: http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2003/Nov/hour2_110703.html

The Stem Cell Institute - University of Minnesota
http://www1.umn.edu/stemcell/sci/page/pg/patch2gar2v2-8_6.shtml

* * *