--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "LauraJane Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:21:56 -0500
Subject: Urgent NIH Funding Action Alert!  Call Your Senators ASAP!
Urgent NIH Funding Action Alert!
Call your Senators in support of the Specter Amendment
to Senate Concurrent Resolution 95, the FY2005 Budget Resolution

Action Needed:
Please call your Senators ASAP requesting their strong support for the
Specter health funding amendment to the FY2005 Budget Resolution, which
is
currently being debated on the Senate floor!  A sample script follows for
your information.

Go to http://capwiz.com/pan/dbq/officials/ to find contact information
about
your Senators, or you can call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at
202-224-3121
to be connected with your Senators' offices.

You may also take action by clicking here:
http://capwiz.com/pan/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=5320001

Background:
The President has proposed only a 2.7% increase for the National
Institutes
of Health (NIH) in Fiscal Year 2005, which does not even keep pace with
the
rate of biomedical inflation, projected to be 3.5% in 2005.

As such, Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA), a stalwart supporter of NIH, will
be
offering an amendment to Senate Concurrent Resolution 95, the FY2005
Budget
Resolution, to increase the funding for NIH from $28.6 billion, or 2.7%
higher than FY2004, to $29.4 billion or 5.3% higher than FY2004.

At the budget resolution proposed funding level and under previous NIH
funding policies, the NIH would fund approximately 640 less new grants in
FY2005 than were funded in FY2004.  The additional funds provided in the
Specter Amendment would permit the continuation of medical advancements
achieved during the doubling of NIH funding.  It is essential that
adequate
dollars are available to translate the achievements made over the past
five
years into treatments and cures for the many maladies, including
Parkinson's, that continue to plague our society.

Sample Phone Call Script:

Hello, my name is _________________ and I am from _____________City and
_______State.
May I speak to the health care legislative assistant?

I am calling today because I am seriously concerned about the proposed
funding level for Fiscal Year 2005 for the National Institutes of Health
(NIH).

This issue is extremely important to me not only because [insert your PD
connection here i.e. I have Parkinson's disease] but also for the
chilling
effect on biomedical research-which may preclude a cure or new or
improved
treatments for not only Parkinson's, but also other diseases such as
diabetes, spinal cord injury, cancer, and Alzheimer's that affect many
millions of Americans!

I hope the Senator will support the Specter Amendment, which will
increase
funding for NIH to $29.4 billion or 5.3% from the level proposed by the
Administration, $28.6 billion, or only 2.7% higher than FY2004.  Without
an
increase NIH cannot even keep pace with the rate of biomedical inflation,
which is estimated to be 3.5% in FY2005.

Thank you for your consideration.   I hope I can count on the Senator's
support for this critical amendment.

Thank you!  Together we can make a difference!

Laura Jane Cohen
Director of Outreach
Parkinson's Action Network
1000 Vermont Ave., NW