"Dietary factors may alter the effects of levodopa action in the brain, and
subsequently affect motor performance. Foods with a high protein content can
interfere with the absorption of levodopa. This phenomenon is most common in
persons who have considerable on/off motor fluctuations, requiring four or
more doses of C/L per day. " . . . "When starting to take
carbidopa/levodopa, patients are often advised to take it 30-60 minutes
prior to meals or 1-2 hours after a meal. Some individuals may need to eat a
non-protein snack (such as fruit or a cracker) with the medication to avoid
an upset stomach. However, most patients have no problem taking the
medication on an empty stomach, which allows maximum absorption. Take each
dose of medication with a full glass of water to help minimize nausea and
aid absorption."

http://www.parkinson.org/med9.htm#die

EAT WELL, STAY WELL - the first book of Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD (NPF
Dietitian) answers lots of suggestions concerning diet and PD.  Her new
book, COOK WELL, STAY WELL, offers not only good information but excellent
recipes.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/

As for sugar sweets - PWP tend to have a dry mouth (either the disease
itself or side effects of medications used.  Dry mouth breeds bacteria, and
adding sugary substances can play havoc with dental health.

And chocolate (caffeine) has been shown to be neuroprotective:
"Our findings indicate that higher coffee and caffeine intake is associated
with a significantly lower incidence of Parkinson disease. This effect
appears to be independent of smoking. The data suggest that the mechanism is
related to caffeine intake and not to other nutrients contained in coffee."
http://www.parkinson.org/coffee.htm

"Caffeine belongs to the xanthine chemical group. A naturally occurring
xanthine in the brain called adenosine is used as a neurotransmitter at some
synapses. When adenosine receptors are blocked, levels of the
neurotransmitter dopamine increase. Caffeine may protect against Parkinson's
disease by blocking adenosine receptors, thus increasing the amount of
dopamine in the brain."

I also read somewhere that chocolate helps swallowing in PD patients, but I
cannot find it now.  However, I do know that large amounts of caffeine are
contraindicated in swallowing difficulties.
Peggy