MASSACHUSETTS: Lawmakers Endorse Stem Cell Research Bill
By Jennifer Heldt Powell

Thursday, March 18, 2004A Legislative panel has endorsed a bill supporting stem cell research, fueling hope that the
Bay State will be the third in the country to embrace the field.

The bill calls for the state to support the work of local companies and universities involved in the research.
California and New Jersey already have such laws.

``This is an exciting time in the stem cell field and we'd really like to see Massachusetts step up to the plate,''
said Robert Lanza, chief medical officer at Advanced Cell Technologies, a Worcester company doing stem cell research.
``Why should we leave it to other states to make a statement?''

The research has raised concerns because it involves cells from cloned embryos. The bill passed by the Health Care
Committee would prohibit cloning for reproductive use, allowing it only for research.

``Massachusetts should be on the leading edge of this research,'' said Rep. Peter J. Koutoujian (D-Newton), Health Care
Committee co-chairman.

``The window is passing us by, and that worries me.''

The bill would send a signal to companies that Massachusetts welcomes the research, said Cynthia Fisher, Massachusetts
Biotechnology Council chairman.

A state endorsement of the research would also bolster plans by Harvard University to create a stem cell research
center, Lanza said.

``This could really become the hub for stem cell research,'' he said.

SOURCE: Boston Herald, MA
http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=2015

* * *