I see the potential for the abuse of embryos for stem cell research, yet
if they are being destroyed anyway, why not use them to benefit others?
The only thing that causes me concern is the potential that people will
start "mining" embryos for money. The thought of that happening is
repugnant.

I fall into the category of people who believe life begins at
conception. However, at least one passage from the bible does not
support that conclusion. While I have not come across any passage that
stipulates a time for the soul to enter the body (although one may be
there) I was surprised to read the following last night:

"When men have a fight and hurt a pregnant woman, so that she suffers a
miscarriage, but no further injury, the guilty one shall be fined as
much as the woman's husband demands of him, and he shall pay in the
presence of the judges. But if injury ensues, you shall give life for
life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn
for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe."

The content of this passage (Exodus 21:22-25) seems to indicate that
embryonic life is not as valued as independently functioning human life.
I found this fascinating, and I wonder if anyone wants to comment on
this (without getting angry), outside of the excellent point that I am
quoting someone's interpretation of the original language of the bible.

I want to make clear that I intend no disrespect of any religion by
quoting the bible. I just think it is an interesting counter-point to
some arguments against embryonic stem-cell research.

Wendy