My observations and with no disrespect just some observations.  The Bible is
taken literally by many.  The translations, as you pointed out, were done by
man.  Done by "man" is a good observation.  Translations tend to be placed
in the context of the times.  If you note the context of your quote
indicates "men have a fight".  It does distinguish between men and women but
only notes when men have a fight.  What happens if women have a fight?  The
other notations reflect the times.  The woman was obviously considered
property of a marriage at that time in history and in the geography where it
was written.  It was left to the man not the woman to determine the value of
the unborn.

Now I hope no one goes off on me.  I don't consider women property nor do I
consider men superior to women.  We are obviously different though.  The
point is the Bible is written in the context of the times and geography and
in the language known to us at that time.  "Embryo" was not in the language
at that time, "unborn" was.  Neither was stem cell research.  A clinical
definition of life and death could not be defined at that time.  Through the
ages men continued to translate the bible but have always been influenced by
the previous interpretations that were made by men not women.  There was
very little influence of women on the translations.  Thusly you still have
"mans" translation with the influence of the middle east geography of the
times.

I find it very hard to use the Bible as a literal guide on this subject.  I
think you need to look at the, spirit and wisdom that is provided by the
Bible with the knowledge that the words are translations of what man felt
were revelations at the time.  Man then put these revelations into the best
possible context available at the time.  Unfortunately that context is
influenced by a "mans" point of view as he lived in the middle east, with
the local customs influencing "him."

Another person pointed out that in Islam, and I am not familiar in any way,
that life began in the fourth month.  What is interesting about that was
that man was more advanced when that passage was written and there was a
greater knowledge of the length of gestation in humans etc.  The culture at
that time ( when Islam began ) I believed placed a higher value on children.
So the translations of the revelations were able to be placed in the more
precise language and in line with local values that were available at the
time.

All that having been said, and please no fire and brimstone, if there is a
God there is and answer to this.  I just don't think you will find it in the
literal translation of any religious revelations.  If there is not a God
then that is a whole other story.  Perhaps the answer is in the collective
conscious of man and not in revelations.  Man tends to be collectively good
(as defined by most today) with a bit of a tendency toward evil ( as defined
by most today ).  I think you will find the answer in your conscious not the
Bible.

I for one don't know the answer and I am still searching.  Now just for me
and no one else, I would try to error on the side of my conscious.  I would
also not impose my conscious on anyone else.  This is a difficult subject
and should be treated with respect for all peoples opinions.  They should
all be valued and then perhaps we will find the answer in the collective
consciousness of man.  As influenced by God of course or whomever or
whatever you believe guides mans quest for truth.

Frank