CANADA: Assisted Human Reproduction Legislation Receives Approval of Senate
2004-10
March 11, 2004
For immediate release

OTTAWA - Today the Senate adopted Bill C-6, An Act Respecting Assisted Human Reproduction and Related Research. This
Act will ensure that Canada has the most comprehensive legislation in the world regarding assisted human reproduction
(AHR).

The Senate Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology reviewed the Bill and unanimously passed it on
March 3, 2004. Today the Senate has given its final approval for it to become law.

This legislation bans human cloning and other unacceptable activities. As well, this legislation will protect the
health and safety of Canadians using AHR; and provide a controlled environment in which AHR-related research can be
undertaken. The law will also establish the Assisted Human Reproduction Agency of Canada (AHRAC) which will license and
monitor regulated procedures and enforce the Act.

"We could not have come this far without the cooperation of so many people whose interest and expertise in the area of
AHR and related research have helped to make this legislation what it is," said Minister Pettigrew. "In particular, I
would like to thank the hard work of the Royal Commission whose report in 1993 was fundamental in arriving at the
current legislation; Dr. Patricia Baird and her fellow Commissioners deserve all of our thanks. I would also like to
thank my fellow Parliamentarians for their thorough consideration of the Bill in both chambers."

Over the coming months, Health Canada will be working with provinces and territories along with various stakeholders,
in developing the regulatory framework. The creation of the Agency and the selection of its Board of Directors will
occur in a timely and transparent manner.

-30-

Media Inquiries:
Paige Raymond Kovach
Health Canada
(613) 948-4629

Sébastien Théberge/Adèle Blanchard
Office of Minister Pettigrew
Minister of Health
Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs
Minister Responsible for Official Languages
(613) 957-0200

Suzanne Cowan
Office of Carolyn Bennett,
Minister of State (Public Health)
(613) 941-8081

Public Inquiries:
(613) 957-2991

Le Sénat approuve la Loi sur la procréation assistée
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/francais/media/communiques/2004/2004_10.htm

SOURCE: Health Canada
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/media/releases/2004/2004_10.htm

Reference:

See the Senate Hansard on the Bill's final passage:
http://tinyurl.com/2vsol

Progress of Legislation - 3rd Session, 37th Parliament
(Bill C-6 An Act respecting assisted human reproduction and related research)
http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/3/parlbus/chambus/senate/deb-e/prog-e.htm

* * *