PENNSYLVANIA: Girl Keeps Grandpa Going ... Ex-Cop Finds Will To Battle Parkinson's
Published Friday, March 19, 2004
By Kristen Garrett ... Herald Staff Writer

Sometimes there are people in our lives who push us to succeed because they see our potential. Sometimes there are
people who push us without even knowing they’re doing it.

Greg Sterling, 51, Hermitage, has someone pushing him along though she’s probably too young to realize it.

Sterling was diagnosed in 1988 at the age of 35 with Parkinson’s disease. He credits his granddaughter, Kayla Sterling,
6, Hermitage, as his lifesaver.

Sterling said at first his symptoms resembled Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. He said his right index finger was stiff and his
and hurt. After having surgery for Carpal Tunnel, Sterling said he wasn’t getting any better so he went to see a
neurologist who discovered he had Parkinson’s.

“Actually I’m doing really well for having treatments for 16 years,” Sterling said. He said there are people who have
been treated for less time with worse problems.  Just because he’s doing well for someone in his condition, it doesn’t
mean everything has been easy for Sterling.

He said things have been difficult for him, his wife Diane and their family. “It’s really been a struggle for us. It’s
not anything you expect to happen,” he said.

Sterling was a police officer with Hermitage Police Department. He said he didn’t tell anyone about his disease for 10
years but eventually it created a safety issue for him and others. He said it was kind of a relief to finally tell
people.

Sterling said he had to quit his job, which sent him into a deep depression. “It was horrible,” he said. “It turned
everything upside down.”

About the same time Sterling said he had to quit his job, Kayla was born.

“She saved my life,” he said of his young granddaughter. The pair spend a lot of time together during the week and
bowling is a favorite activity.

Lately they haven’t been able to bowl because Sterling said he’s had balance problems for the past year, and he fell
and dislocated his shoulder bowling last summer.

Even though they can’t bowl, Kayla said she and her grandpa find other things to do together like walking outside,
looking  for grasshoppers, and, come this summer, she’s going to use a trampoline she got for Christmas.

Kayla doesn’t like that her grandpa has Parkinson’s. “I don’t like it cause he always falls,” she said.

Sterling said sometimes it’s pretty funny when he falls, but Kayla disagrees. She said one time her grandpa fell at
school when he came to pick her up and scared everyone.

Kayla said it’s not scary to her when he falls, and one time she got to ride in an ambulance with him.

Kayla explained that her grandpa has two canes, one for dress and one for play.

Now that he’s retired, Sterling said he basically watches Kayla and does as much around the house as he can. He said
spending time with Kayla helps him a lot.

He said he tells Kayla that he will be better when she’s 16 because by then there will be better treatments for
Parkinson’s.

He said he is actively involved in increasing awareness of the disease. “They’re so close to a cure. I think
something’s going to come along soon,” he said.

For more information on Parkinson Disease visit the National Parkinson Foundation at http:www.parkinson.org

SOURCE: The Herald, Sharon, Pennsylvania, Friday, March 19, 2004  Page C1
http://www.sharon-herald.com/localnews/recentnews/0403/ln031904d.html

Reference:

May 27, 2002 Sterling attends Parkinson's forum ... Ex-policeman helps push for funds in D.C.
http://www.sharon-herald.com/localnews/recentnews/0205/ln052702c.html

NM, USA - The Young Onset Parkinson's Association (YOPA), a newly formed Parkinson's support organization headquartered
in Albuquerque, has joined forces with the New Mexico Chapter of the American Parkinson's Disease Association (APDA) in
presenting the First Annual Southwest Regional Parkinson's Disease Conference and First Annual Young Onset Parkinson's
Disease Awareness Walk, to be held October 11-12, 2002.
http://www.plwp.org/virtuality/200209/200209_albuquerque.htm

Young Onset Parkinson's Disease Conference and Awareness Walk in Albuquerque NM. The first annual event will coincide
with the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta on Oct. 10-12, 2002
http://tinyurl.com/2kfjm

* * *