On 21 Mar 2004 at 9:30, Joao Carvalho wrote:

> Some babies are born without brain  after being "living" in the uterus
> of the mother for many months. So I wonder if one should consider in
> these cases that we are dealing with "human beings" or just an
> aggregate of human cells. Best, Joao Carvalho Salvador,Bahia,Brazil

Good question, Joao.  Such babies, called "anencephalic" have a brain stem
(otherwise they could not survive at all), but no "higher" brain.  Almost all of
them die quickly after birth.  I don't know how to "classify" such babies; they
are made of human tissue, but are they "human"?

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"