This example, Dr Finks, is one that has to be disturbing.  Regardless of the
status of the fetus as a human being the doctors on that team were faced
with a life and death decision.  To do nothing, both would die.  To do
something, would result in the death of one.  Today that person might have
been able to be saved.  I don't know if that makes it human or human life?
In doctor Finks case today there would have been hope for both perhaps even
at that time all efforts should have been taken to save the child.  If they
were, then the decision might have been less disturbing.  There would have
been an attempt to save both, one just had poor odds.  In the end did the
woman survive?

Now, not knowing "when human life begins", perhaps all efforts should be
taken to not actively destroy it.  Just because we are or can be the
instruments of unconventional conception, or if we kicked off the life
process in some other way, would not make the product of our actions any
less human in the end.  Not knowing when that transformation takes place is
what makes it difficult for many people.

Now Maryse also brings up a good point.  For me also it is hard to see where
an embryo (5 days old), where the cells have not yet differentiated, could
be human.  Many women do loose them without even knowing it.  Nature however
controlled that example not the mother.  Even Maryse example does not define
when it is human life.  The embryo's in fertility clinics have already
started on the journey to birth.  We can all agree that somewhere "in
between"  human life exists.  Defining that point is what is hard.  After
that definition is made measuring that point in each case would be another
issue.   This is where using embryo's from fertility clinics can become an
issue.

This is not the same as SCNT.  Admittedly we are dealing with quite
different issues there, at least as far as we know today.  Even though we
are dealing with different issues, are we still dealing with the start of
human life for which science has been able to define an end but not a
beginning?  If in the end a human life could exist, even though the start
was unconventional, then we are still dealing with the same issues?  If we
knew for sure that under no circumstances a base stem cell created under
today's SCNT processes could ever become a human in the end the answer might
be "this is ok."  If under some future conditions they could become humans
then you may be dealing with some of the same issues.  When and how do you
define the start of life, we know when it ends?  Unfortunately mankind is
very good at accelerating death and not quite as good at preserving life.

Thank you both for your respectful and thoughtful input on this subject.

Still searching

Frank cg. Teri 52/47/40 15024