Why I Can Support Embryonic Stem Cell, Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer and In
Vitro Fertilization Research.

It’s been three years post diagnoses. Three years of living with a
progressive, degenerative and as yet incurable neurological condition. A
condition named Parkinson’s.

It happened suddenly and without warning. Striking me in the prime of life,
family and career. In these intervening three years since, there have been
many changes, physically, mentally and monetarily.

Unfortunately my career has ended and every day brings more physical
challenges. But my fight is not over. My fight is to educate as many people
as possible on the promise and hope of Regenerative and Reparative
Medicines. So often mislabeled as human cloning.

These technologies, which offer the hope for a cure for tens-of-thousands of
fellow Texans can and must be allowed to continue. Moreover these
Regenerative and Reparative Medicines should also be allowed to expand. We
must do the right thing. We should be of the highest calling to those
dealing currently with incurable conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis,
Juvenile Diabetes, ALS, Muscular Dystrophy, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord
injuries and scores of others. We should be saving these lives.

Unfortunately these technologies have been likened to abortion and baby
killing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The science and our understanding of it is important concerning these
matters as they have appeared recently in the headlines and are encountered
throughout the fabric of our time. You could debate to many divergent
extremes as to when life begins. But the simple truth is - we just don't
know! I have spoken to literally thousands of people across Texas and across
the United States, and to the person, when pressed, could not be ABSOLUTELY,
POSITIVELY, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, CERTAIN when life began. Oh, don't get me
wrong, we all have our beliefs, conception, primordial streak, heartbeat,
and on and on. But that's all they are - beliefs. So it's time to re-phrase
the question.

The better question should be "What are the tenants of creating a Human
being?" If we look at this question logically we can readily show it is
self-evident there has to be certain steps, conditions, events; whatever you
may want to call them which must occur to being a Human. These events,
conditions, steps are required WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Miss one and there is no
human, period. And what are these steps? What is the trajectory of becoming
Human?

They are...

1) Male sperm penetrating the female ovum,
2) Implantation in the tissues of a womb.

Are you with me? It's so simple! Yet this is the immutable underlying logic
of this whole debate. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, you cannot produce a Human being
without the union of gametes and implantation in the nurturing, life
sustaining tissues of a womb, ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, CERTAIN! Fertilization
is required and implantation is the bright dividing line of POTENTIAL. Give
me a Petri dish of microscopic zygotes and blastocysts, and I'll show you
just that... a Petri dish of microscopic zygotes and blastocysts. But let
those microscopic collections of cells implant in the nurturing, life
sustaining tissues of a womb and you have crossed the line of POTENTIALITY.

After all, it is the contention of those who oppose Embryonic Stem Cells
(ESC), Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT), In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
laboratory procedures by saying they are somehow immoral in using these
microscopic collection of cells for research and life enhancing therapies.
But as you can see without implantation in a womb there is no trajectory to
becoming a Human being. Without implantation, these microscopic collections
of cells cannot be referred to as babies or fetuses or human beings or even
embryos. Again, because the condition of trajectory of potential on becoming
a Human being has not been met.

It is through continued and expanded research, here In Texas, as well as
throughout the United States, and even worldwide where life enhancing
Reparative Medicines will be discovered refined and applied to save Human
lives.