Perhaps we might want to think of it as 3 (or 4 or 5) good reasons not to write
essays. If plagiarism paranoia is a bad reason, what might we articulate
as "soundbite" sized good ones? And with those soundbites, what are the
alternatives?

I like your point earlier Doug that writing with no context is still better
than no writing, but perhaps we can articulate that writing doesn't need to be
so contextless even in the imitation-ivory tower.

Rob