Now you see the problem. Your list is already too long, and requires too much
preceding context for your average journalist (who wrote essays at school) to
understand -- much less joe or jo public. News isn't needs 15 second soundbites
like "profs drop essays from fear of plagiarism".

I'll take your number 1b slightly modified:  "Essays don't prepare students for
writing in the workplace."

Although a counter-example: I have a friend who years ago did an English
degree. He's now a computer networks guy (very successful) and he recently
described how English had prepared him for his current job.  "All of English,"
he said, "is just compare and contrast. Same with computers. Any time you're
solving a problem in a network, you're just comparing with an ideal and
eliminating contrasts." Was it the writing that prepared him? At some level,
I'd guess it was.  That's the place where students develop and sustain ideas
more than in classroom discussion, so it is where the mind gets trained to look
at things in a particular way. Could something other than essays have achieved
that mind training... most likely but it would require similar sustained
thinking.

Rob