My two cents: from the realm of engineering writing --> no essays.

I have witnessed the process of killing a major technical report
situated within the engineering curriculum, that was written over a
whole term through in-class feedback sessions, on-line discussions, peer
consultations, and so on, and turning it into a note taking in-class
exercise because of the fear of plagiarism. So, I am adamantly opposed
to any justifications based on plagiarism.

The question about essays is an old one. I don't think essays are
useless. The question is, with what purpose and for whom are those
essays written? If one can situate a research essay within the
disciplinary field and give students enough time, tools, and assistance
to do a good research and to properly adjust it for the reader, what's
bad about it?

I am a bit wary of the argument that essays are not useful because
people don't write them at work. After all, I hope that universities do
not ONLY prepare students for work, they also help people to learn how
to learn and understand the world. Being able to collect relevant
information, understand it, synthesize it for a particular purpose, and
write it for a particular reader is important no matter where one works
after school. The point is, this research/writing work has to be meaningful.

My major concern is that students are so used to writing for the sake of
writing that they sometimes refuse to see any other purpose. If we
confide their writing to a classroom two times a week, we will only
reinforce their view of writing as something useless that is done only
at school.

Natasha

--
Natasha Artemeva

Assistant Professor
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6