Hello!
    How many people are not using birth control pills, because they do not
believe in killing a fertilized human embryo? If anybody is using birth
control pills, and then tell people they should not allow embryonic stem
cell research for ethical reasons, these people are not following what they
are preaching!
    Therapeutic stem cells are harvested from preimplanatation stage (4-5
day old) embryo-like cells produced by nuclear transplanation from the donor
cell.  If you are serious about not killing any potential embryos, we should
all stop using birth control measures and should be banned!
    Further, a stem cell is  a stem cell,  whether it is coming from embryo
or adult tissues.  That is why they are called stem cells.  Everybody tells
that adult stem cells are also pluripotent, and why not use them instead of
embryonic stem cells. Adult stem cells also have the potential to develop
into a human embyo if provided the right environment.  Should we not then
use even the adult stem cells for therapeutic purposes?!?
    I personally feel that this is a futile argument.  Countries that have
higher ethical standards and compassion for the fellow sufferers will
advance in this field, as is happening now already, and the rest of us will
be left behind still argueing about it. I seriously doubt about the ethical
standards of the so called ethicists who argue against therapeutic stem cell
research. It is grossly unethical to obstruct scientific advances that has
the potential to help millions of people from various degenerative diseases
but recommend throwing out the embryos out in the garbage without using them
in scientific enquiry.
    I think the society is in the usual catching up phase to the advancement
of science, which is fuelled by the unlimited human intellectural appetite
and curiosity. When the benefit for humanity from such advances have such a
great potential, scientific progress is bound tobe phenomenal. The best we
can do right now is let the scientists do their job and find out the best
methods of exploiting this technology for the common good of humanity, with
strict regulations to curb cloning of human embryos for reproductive
purposes.
    A few decades from now, the same people would be seeking regenerative
remedy for various ailments that hail from stem cell studies, embyonic or
adult, for scientific aadvancement for the good of human health will never
be permanently hampered with these futile and hypocrytic agruments.
    Raj