On 31 Mar 2004 at 11:40, M.Schild wrote:

> Stem cells are taken from a very young embryo ( about 5 days old.) A
> fetus is usually called that when it differentiates. Before that, all
> vertebrate embryos are similar (  dogs , horses, apes , humans,
> etchave a similar embryo). It is only later that the embryo can only
> develop into a human and is called a fetus.

Respectfully, I say that this is playing with words.  The "embryo", unless it is
defective, has the full potential to develop into a fetus and then into a human
baby.  While "embryos" do not "look" human before about 8 weeks (when it
becomes a "fetus"), it is a human being, with the human DNA and the right
number of chromosomes.

The argument about using unborn human beings for research is one thing (and
one can hold differing positions on that); but don't try to tell me that a human
embryo is anything other than a human being.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"