Exactly right on the first two paragraphs Wendy.  We really should not
have "leftovers" in the
first place, but folks do what they WANT.  But I disagree with your
assumption about when
life begins.  Inquire any biologist, and they will tell you that human
life begins at conception,
or when the sperm and egg join, and the embryo is the beginning of human
life.
A new individual human being *begins* at fertilization .  Show me a
biologist who disagrees
with that.  You can't.  Here are just some references:

* In 1981 (April 23-24) a Senate Judiciary Subcommittee held hearings on
the very question before us here: When does human life begin? Appearing
to speak on behalf of the scientific community was a group of
internationally-known geneticists and biologists who had the same story
to tell, namely, that human life begins at conception - and they told
their story with a profound absence of opposing testimony.

Dr. Micheline M. Mathews-Roth, Harvard medical School, gave confirming
testimony, supported by references from over 20 embryology and other
medical textbooks that human life began at conception.

* "Father of Modern Genetics" Dr. Jerome Lejeune told the lawmakers:
/"To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place a new
human has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion ...
it is plain experimental evidence."/

* Dr. Hymie Gordon, Chairman, Department of Genetics at the Mayo Clinic,
added: /"By all the criteria of modern molecular biology, life is
present from the moment of conception."/

* Dr. McCarthy de Mere, medical doctor and law professor, University of
Tennessee, testified: /"The exact moment of the beginning of personhood
and of the human body is at the moment of conception."/

* Dr. Alfred Bongiovanni, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine,
concluded, /"I am no more prepared to say that these early stages
represent an incomplete human being than I would be to say that the
child prior to the dramatic effects of puberty ... is not a human being."/

* Dr. Richard V. Jaynes: /"To say that the beginning of human life
cannot be determined scientifically is utterly ridiculous."/

* Dr. Landrum Shettles, sometimes called the "Father of In Vitro
Fertilization" notes, /"Conception confers life and makes that life one
of a kind."/ And on the Supreme Court ruling _Roe v. Wade_, /"To deny a
truth /[about when life begins] /should not be made a basis for
legalizing abortion."/

* Professor Eugene Diamond: /"...either the justices were fed a
backwoods biology or they were pretending ignorance about a scientific
certainty."/