Perhaps using the word "rights" is tied to a particular social or cultural
condition of some modern societies.  If you consider respect for human life
in place of "rights" you don't get into comparisons where people bring up
unrelated issues like "voting rights" to justify a position.

Consider respect for life in the case of a baby born with a severe deformity
that would cause its death in a week or so.  The  parents recognized that
this unfortunate could help another baby live if the heart was donated.
They  agree with this donation.  A baby is in waiting for a heart that is a
perfect match.  The waiting baby has 5 days to live at best.  The donating
baby is the only perfect match and the only hope.  The donating baby left
alone without extraordinary measures will last at least 10 days.  In 10 days
there may not be a need for that heart and the receiving baby will be dead
for sure.  Using the logic you have applied to the embryos would indicated
we should hasten the death of the donating baby so that the second baby
could live.  If we did not hasten death the donated heart would go to waste.
If we hastened the death of the first, a life could be saved instead of two
deaths.  Some how that does not seem right.

This is a very difficult area.  I think if we use the premise that human
life at least begins at conception we need to think long and hard about the
steps we should take to respect that life after conception.  The law takes
this very seriously when a mother puts her unborn at risk.  This issue is
considered completely outside of the abortion issue.  A mother has a right
to have an abortion but does not have the right to knowingly endanger her
unborn at any stage.

The intent of these fertility clinics is for aiding the conception of human
life.  I doubt that society would tolerate a second set of clinics set up to
create embryo's for the sole purpose of growing organs for harvesting.
Treatment of embryo's is always handled with respect as long as that
"creation of life" intent is in the forefront.  Once that intent is changed
why should we treat these embryo's differently?  When do they have a right
to "respect" and when does that change?  Does that change as soon as we no
longer need them for their initial purpose?  If that is the case there are
many people on this list that should look over their shoulders because they
are no longer useful for the purpose they originally filled.  It may seem
extreme but there are plenty of great hearts, livers and kidneys out there
in PD land.  If transplants were possible in 1940 Hitler would have argued
the organs of people with PD could all be put to better use than to continue
to sustain the life of a person who is an obvious burden on society.

In the end it's still a matter of respect for human life. Care and thought
must be taken to look forward to the possible repercussions of our actions.
That does not mean we should take no actions just that careful thought must
be taken and respectful considerations should always be encouraged.

Frank cg. Teri 52/47/40 15024