Hi, everybody:

Since the list's welcome message suggests new subscribers introduce
themselves, here goes.  I'm 57, symptoms began last July (mostly
resting tremor and stiffness at this point).  Parkinsonism is certainly
present, but we don't know yet whether it's PD itself, or whether the
Parkinsonism is secondary to something else, like a tumour or stroke
damage (CT scan will happen soon).  Like most folks new to this change
in life, I guess, I'm avidly looking for reliable info as to what might
be coming, and when, and how people try to cope, and how successful
they've been.  (I was originally trained in biochemistry, so the hows
and whys of the disease itself and the paths research will be following
aren't totally unfamiliar to me.)  And of course, when I learn enough
to be helpful, I'll be looking for ways to help ease the burden a bit
for others of us.

As a beginning, let me suggest that newbies like me might find the
website of the Parkinson Society Canada a good place to browse.  The
site is naturally Canada-oriented, but there's a wealth of generally
useful information there.  The English-language home page is
http://www.parkinson.ca/home.html and a particularly helpful document
is http://www.parkinson.ca/pdf/Taking_Charge_2003.pdf (the title is
"Taking Charge: A Guide to Living with Parkinson's").  (That file is
280-odd K so if you're on a slow connection you'll need to budget some
time to download it.)

It's been a bit of a surprise: my wife (next anniversary will be our
35th) is a Type 1 diabetic and has had a couple of silent heart
attacks, and I'd enjoyed generally good health up to now.  I'd always
thought I'd be the one in the caregiver role as age takes its toll.  I
guess we'll just have to take turns :)

For the rest of "who's Greg?" I'll point at
http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis rather than consume bandwidth here.  I don't
mention PD on that site, but I'll probably add a section with some
links in a month or two.

Good luck to us all.......
--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |