Hi there,

I'm just joining your list, newly diagnosed with PD in March 2004.  I'm
45 y/o, married for 24 years,  2 cats and a small house in the Pacific
Northwest.  I spin my own yarn, knit, weave, putter in my flower garden
& teach fiber arts at the local yarn store.

I stopped working in November 2001, having problems with my back & right
hip.  Terrible "muscle spasms", numbness, jumping leg.  Sitting became a
torture.  I went from doctor to doctor trying to discover the source of
my problem.  I do have HLA-B27 arthritis, so that was always blamed.
But, you don't normally have numbness & a jumping leg from that.  I
finally went to my GP & begged him to deal with me until we solved this
puzzle.  That was in September 2003.  I had a CAT scan, 3 MRI's (hip,
back & the head in January).  We tried different meds....  Finally, my
leg was so misbehaven that he was concerned I was having seizures.  EEG
was normal....  "OK, does anyone in your family have parkinsons?"
Yep....  Well, we tried sinement & guess what?!  I felt better after 3
doses!!!  Hurray.

I have my first appointment with the neurologist next week & I assume my
meds will be changed then.  I'm actually relieved to know what the
problem is.  Since I've had 3 family members with this disease, I have a
general idea of what to expect.  But they were all diagnosed in their
60's or 70's....  No one was diagnosed at 45.

And that's why I am interested in this list.  I want more info.  I want
to understand (as much as I can) what exactly is happening to me & what
the cause is.  I'm looking forward to finding out more.

Penny Brown