I believe they are sufficiently different (SCNT research in general vs.
using embryo's) that ethical considerations need to be made separately.
The difference is the source of the raw materials.

The big issue seems to be the potential of a stem cell.  The potential of a
stem cell may be the same as a fertilized egg.  I don't know and I don't
think science can really answer that just yet.  If after "assembly", and a
division or two, there is no difference between a fertilized egg and an
assembled stem cell then one might argue this assembly as well as an embryo
have been "conceived."  Conception is considered by many as the beginning of
life.  An embryo uses human components to be "conceived."  This is done both
naturally and artificially.  In the end human life is "conceived" as a
result of this assembly.  An assembled stem cell uses some of those same
basic components to be assembled to a point where is it similar to an
embryo.

Embryo's are so much easier to use to generate stem cells they seem ideal as
a source for stem cell research.  This will shorten the time it will take to
reach conclusions and make discoveries that will turn out to be life saving
for many.  From a purely scientific point of view the easiest path to follow
right now is to use embryo's for stem cell research.  There are many easy
paths to follow in life and those that argue against using embryo's argue
that easy does not make it right.  If you did not know the consequences and
were able to ignore your conscious it would make logical sense to rob a bank
rather than work for money.  We have a conscious but are still not aware of
the consequences so we are hesitant to proceed without thought and
consideration on possible consequences of these actions.  Every one involved
on both sides of this discussion on this board as well as the discussions
going on in the scientific community are driven by conscious.

We should not stop dead in our tracks because one path to knowledge seems to
be under ethical scrutiny.  Humans have persevered because we have the
tenacity to find another path when one is blocked or seems to be dangerous.
The potential for good is so great that we need to continue on a path we can
agree on rather than stand at the crossroads and argue which is easiest.
It's called "the path of least resistance."  It is found extensively in
nature and can't always be predicted.

By the way for me right now my conscious tells me using embryo's is wrong.
I'm personally not really sure of SCNT research when you do not use an
embryo as the source of the stem cell.  We grow and use skin all the time
outside of the body from skin cells.  Skin is an organ, largest single organ
in the body.  Skin can never be a human, only a part of a human.  There has
to be some way to figure this out.