FWD from Parkinson's Action Network

From: "LauraJane Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:40:12 -0400
Subject: Final, Final Push!  Action Alert! Call or email your U.S.
Representative NOW and ask him or her to sign on to the bi-partisan
Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley Dear Colleague letter!

One last time…
ACTION ALERT!!!
We need your help!

We are so close to our goal of 200 signatures on the stem cell letter to
President Bush - we need about 17 more members on the letter between now
and Friday.  Also below, please find the names of members who signed a
pro-stem cell letter in 2001 and who are not yet on the
Castle/DeGette/Cunningham/Dooley letter.

Members who signed pro-stem cell letter in 2001:
Julia Carson (IN)
James Clyburn (SC)
John Conyers (MI)
Bob Etheridge (NC)
Chaka Fattah (PA)
Jane Harman (CA)
Alcee Hastings (FL)
Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX)
Carolyn Kilpatrick  (MI)
Earl Pomeroy  (ND)
Zoe Lofgren  (CA)

Please make your phone calls/send your emails as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!  Together we make a difference!
Best-
Laura Jane
Director of Outreach
Parkinson's Action Network
1000 Vermont Ave., NW
Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005
ph: 202-842-4101 or 800-850-4726
fax: 202-842-4105
www.parkinsonsaction.org

Urgent Stem Cell Action Alert!

Call or email your U.S. Representative NOW and ask him or her to sign on
the bi-partisan Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley Dear Colleague letter
Urging President Bush to Expand the Current Federal Policy
on Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Click here to take action:
http://capwiz.com/pan/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=5319001

Action Needed:
Please call or email your U.S. Representative and request that he or she
sign on to the Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley Dear Colleague expressing
support for the expansion of the current federal policy on embryonic stem
cell research.

Your input will help demonstrate to your Representative that there are a
significant number of Americans who support cutting edge medical
research,
such as SCNT, in pursuit of cures and improved treatments.

Please see below for both a sample email that you may customize and send
by
cutting and pasting the material into your own email program and a sample
script for a phone call. Before you call or email your Representative,
check the list below to see if he or she has already agreed to sign the
letter. Click here to find out contact information for your
Representative:
http://capwiz.com/pan/dbq/officials/

Background:
As you know, human embryonic stem cells have the potential to treat and
provide better understanding of the deadly and disabling diseases that
affect more than 100 million Americans, such as cancer, heart disease,
diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord
injury
and many, many others.

In August 2001, President Bush announced his stem cell policy, which
limited
all embryonic stem cell research performed with federal funds to the 78
stem
cell lines available for research at that particular point in time.

The unfortunate reality is that now, more than two years after August 9,
2001, only 15 stem cell lines are available to researchers. In addition,
all of those 15 lines are contaminated with mouse feeder cells, making
their
therapeutic use for humans uncertain.

Scientists are reporting that it is increasingly difficult to attract new
scientists to this area of research because of concerns that funding
restrictions will keep this research from being successful.

Furthermore, this promising field of research is moving overseas. We have
already seen researchers move to countries such as the United Kingdom,
Singapore, Israel, Sweden, and Australia, which have more supportive
policies.

Click here to take action:
http://capwiz.com/pan/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=5319001
Sample Email Text

Subject: Please sign on to the Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley Dear
Colleague supporting an expansion of the federal stem cell policy.

March X, 2004

Dear Representative______________:

I am gravely concerned about the President's short-sighted policy on
embryonic stem cell research.

This issue is extremely important to me not only because [insert your PD
connection here] but also for the chilling effect on biomedical
research-which may preclude a cure or new or improved treatments for not
only Parkinson's, but also other diseases such as diabetes, spinal cord
injury, cancer, and Alzheimer's that affect many millions of Americans!

Parkinson's is a progressive neurological disorder that destroys brain
cells
controlling motor function. Currently available treatments only partially
alleviate the resulting stiffness, tremor and slowness of movement.
Eventually Parkinson's leaves its victims unable to walk, talk or even
move.
[Additional personal detail about how you have been directly affected by
Parkinson's.]

Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT), commonly referred to as therapeutic
cloning, may prove to be a vital tool in allowing scientists to fully
develop the promise of stem cell research. In short, therapeutic
cloning-cannot create life, but can potentially save millions of lives
and
relieve the suffering of millions more across the globe.

Given the enormous scientific potential in this area, I ask you to join
me
in supporting an expansion of the Presidential stem cell policy by
signing
on to the Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley Dear Colleague Letter.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope I can count on the Congressman's
support on this critical issue.

Sincerely,

Sample Phone Call Script
(If you do not know the phone number for your Member of Congress, call
the
Capitol Switch Board at 202-224-3121.)

Hello, my name is _________________ and I am from _____________(City and
State).

May I speak to the health care legislative assistant?

I am calling today because I am gravely concerned about the President's
short-sighted policy on embryonic stem cell research.

This issue is extremely important to me not only because [insert your PD
connection here] but also for the chilling effect on biomedical
research-which may preclude a cure or new or improved treatments for not
only Parkinson's, but also other diseases such as diabetes, spinal cord
injury, cancer, and Alzheimer's that affect many millions of Americans!

Given the enormous scientific potential in this area, I ask the
Representative to join me in supporting an expansion of the Presidential
stem cell policy by signing on to the Castle-DeGette-Cunningham-Dooley
Dear
Colleague Letter.

Thank you for your consideration. I hope I can count on the
Representative's support on this critical issue.

For more information, please visit the PAN website,
www.parkinsonsaction.org , or call PAN at 1-800-850-4726. You may also
visit
the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR) web site,
www.camradvocacy.org