How Has Muhammad Ali Inspired You?

Posted 4/16/2004 1:00 PM     Updated 4/16/2004 1:00 PM

We asked readers to share their thoughts about former heavyweight champ Muhammad Ali. These 12 winners will all receive
a limited-edition promotional booklet for GOAT (Taschen, $3,000), the new book about the "Greatest of All Time":

"I find Muhammad Ali inspiring not simply because of his skill as a boxer or public speaker, but in his ability to
maintain his humanity. Ali was simultaneously champion and man; larger than life and in the thick of life. He was
flawed, as we all are, filled with self-doubt, anger and temptation, yet he did not deny these parts of himself.
Instead, he challenged them daily in himself and others. In his constant striving to be better than he is, Ali inspires
both the most humble and the most proud." — Emily Haile, Brooklyn, N.Y.

"Ali truly deserves the title 'Greatest of All Time.' He didn't go crazywith the attention he was receiving, and stood
by his principles regardingthe war. He felt so strongly about his religion he changed the key to an
individual'sidentity: his name. He is still the greatest.I can remember as a child following his career, and hearing
racist remarkssaid about him. My admiration of Ali was not something I talked about withmy family, who only saw the
color of his skin. Nothing deterred him fromfighting the good fight, and he never bowed.— Debbie Bennett-
Vidaure,Langhorne, Pa.

"I view Ali as one of my heroes in my life for the simple fact that he took the time with me. I am a native of Niles,
Mich., which is near where he resides in Berrien Springs. At the age of 15, I had just read Ali's autobiography and
wanted to meet him. On a limb, I showed up to his estate (by myself) one day to see if I could meet him ... not
thinking that I would! However, not only did I get to meet Ali, he welcomed me into his home for three hours. We had
supper together, he did magic tricks for me and we discussed topics ranging from Mike Tyson to Malcolm X. It left a
tremendous impression on my from that day on. Ali is not only one of 'the greatest' boxers of all time; he is also one
of the greatest people of all time." — Geoff Dunnuck, Jacksonville, Fla.

"I was inspired by Ali because he was his own man. He talked a lot, butunlike other people who talk a lot, Ali was able
to back up what hesaid. He was not only a great boxer, but also a great entertainer. Hewas one of a kind and will go
down as the 'greatest.'" — Edwin G. Charles, Indianapolis

"I was born in the Bahamas, and as a youngster, my Dad and an elderly neighbor would gather for all of Ali's fights by
the radio. They would tell me stories of Ali and I was drawn in. I remember the fight with Henry Cooper in England. I
was inspired by the way Ali held his ground, despite all of the racism that existed when he first started to box. That
carried me through when I moved to the U.S. 15 years ago. Whenever I experienced a bit of racism, I would say to
myself, 'How would Muhammad Ali handle this situation?' It led me to carry myself with dignity, and represent not only
the Bahamas, but black people the world over.Just look at Ali now. He is respected and loved all over the world by
people of all colors.I just love him and thank God for allowing him to be an inspiration to me." —Philip Brice,Los
Angeles

"I ran the Los Angeles marathon in 1998, and Muhammad Ali was the officialstarter. Having never run a marathon, I was a
little skeptical about mychances of finishing before nightfall. Throughout the 26.2 miles, I thoughtof everything Ali
had been through; at the end my feet felt like they hadbeen through 15 rounds with Joe Frazier, but I finished in 4:19
— not bad fora non-runner. Ali is the greatest." — Tom Spence,Fillmore, Calif.

Muhammad Ali has greatly influenced my life. My first recollections are from when I was a small boy growing up in
upstate New York watching The Wide World of Sports and being absolutely fascinated. ... But Mr. Ali’s influence meant
much more than just mere showmanship, although that was and still is certainly fun to watch. I believe what Mr. Ali
should be remembered most for (and how he influenced myself) is standing right back up after being knocked down in
retaliation for non-mainstream beliefs. And in doing so, he continuously and literally fights the world that wishes to
batter him down for what is socially and morally right. From Mr. Ali’s social experiences involving his color of skin
and ethnicity to his political beliefs to his religious beliefs, no athlete, and certainly no athlete of his stature,
has been so beaten down by society, only to immediately pull himself up while submitting such an eloquent rebuttal so
full of wisdom that nary a comeback be uttered. ... Muhammad Ali is not just an athlete. Muhammad Ali is not just a
man. Muhammad Ali is that rare once-in-a-lifetime entity that, through his unique life and experiences, influences
others to rise above in the name of and for the benefit of mankind." — Bradley I. Welcher, Los Angeles

"Primarily, I see (Ali) as an exceptional role model for the young of past and current times. His tenacity, confidence
and positive attitude have affected many. His inner strength, kindness and good will towards others and dedication to
his life work have all been an inspiration to me. When I hear of him, I think, 'If you have the desire, you have the
power.'" — Charlotte Dougherty, Wilmington, Del.

"The response is very simple: No matter what is happening in your life, do not let anything knock you down. Ali did not
even let his health issues knock him down. He is still standing up. What does this say?" — Daphne Peacock,Morganton,
N.C.

"There are many great quarterbacks in the NFL. There are many great skaters in hockey. The major leagues are rife with
stars who can hit, run, and throw. But in boxing, there is a champion who is the best of all the rest. The epitome of
boxing is the champ of the heavyweight division: one man who has pummeled his way to the top. Ali was so good that in
the days of his Saturday afternoon televised-for-free fights, everyone knew he would win. It was just a matter of how
much of a sweat Ali wanted to work up. He was a sight to behold, clearly faster and more athletic than all the rest in
his division. He seemed to pick the time when he would knock out his opponent. He would just turn it on and do it. No
one had a clue as to how to beat him. He never doubted his ability and his confidence was over the top. How could a
young man such as myself not draw inspiration from such a warrior as Ali? He would have been the best at anything he
chose to do because of his belief and faith in his abilities. What a model for a successful life!" — Les Colonello, New
Orleans

"I listened to the Sonny Liston-Cassius Clay match on the radio in the basement of our house in Chicago while my three
brothers and I were lined up to get our hair cut by Dad. We were all so excited, and at the time had no idea that we
were witnessing a lifelong memory! It's amazing how certain events are embedded in your mind." — Gary Gratzer, South
Denver, N.C.

"I'm a 38-year-old guy, the same as age Ali was when he took on Holmes, and he has been one of my role models since I
was a young boy. His charisma and boxing skills first captured my imagination, but it was his warmth and sincerity that
made me love him. As I grew older and learned more of what Ali stood for and sacrificed, I respected him so much more.
Ali inspired me to believe in myself and he reinforced what my parents always said: 'If you believe in yourself, no
matter what anyone says, you can achieve anything.'Through his brave battle through Parkinson's, Ali still inspires me
and all who love him. His travels through the world as an ambassador of peace and his moment at the Olympics all serve
to remind us what positivity he brings to the world and what greatness really means." — Edward McKeown,Smithtown, N.Y.

SOURCE: USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/2004-04-16-ali-contest_x.htm

* * *