Just to set the record straight, I'm not sure what you call the "early
days", Dr. Fink.  This happened way back on Wednesday, August 11, 1999.  It
was then that the Kansas Board of Education, by a vote of 6 to 4, decided to
"reject evolution as a scientific principle" and remove it from the state
science curriculum for grades K throught 12.

Luckily, this moronic approach was overturned in February of 2001 following
elections the prior November in which two of the key people voting for the
proposal were defeated and replaced by more reasonable people.

Gary