my dear raylene, it's not many mornings that i would do this, but i must
beg to differ with your opinion of Muhammed Ali-not with the "sport" of
boxing; but with the man himself. Muhammed Ali has been to me, a
constant source of inspiration and truly deserves the title of "greatest
of all time." like the Pope, he need not say one word about pd-but
living out his life under the constant scrutiny of cameras and the glare
of publicity, he presents to us all a lesson in how to live your life
with pd in grace, kindness, and sincerity with out giving up any of the
charisma that got him where he is today. it's been told that Fidel
Castro cannot stand Ali because Fidel is so used to being the center of
attention and when Ali visited Cuba, Fidel was furious at being upstaged
by this silent, shaking man. Ali, his wife Lonnie and their daughter who
runs and fundraisers for pd on the TeamParkinson's, are all wonderful
albeit sometimes behind the scenes activists for pd and his star-studded
fundraisers touch the people whom i and other grass roots activists
could never reach; for example, just several weeks ago, Shaquille O'Neal
anted up a considerable amount at an auction for pd hosted by Ali and
got several other high profile people to match his bid. (of course now,
after taking the newspaper clipping around with me for weeks, i cannot
find the darn thing when i need it!!)
and who can ever forget the achingly poignant sight of a bowed but not
defeated; shaking but not surrendering, trembling but triumphant Ali
lighting the Olympic Torch , oh how long ago?? some people, i feel can
lead better by example and Ali has set a fine one. Last year, we sent
him a pair of boxing gloves and asked him to sign them for my Shake,
Rattle & Roll raffle and nearly fell outta my chair when ups came with
the return package only a few days later...signed, sealed, delivered!! i
have yet to hear of him turning down a reasonable request.
i think that we do an injustice to our famous parkies when we pin on
them the hopes and goals of an entire community. i believe that Ali,
like MJFox, JReno, the Pope, and all the other famous and not-so-famous
among us are just what they are-people trying to live with this lousy
disease and to make each day count.

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm