Parkinson's Action Network Applauds Bi-Partisan Congressional Coalition Urging President To Expand Stem Cell Policy
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 28, 2004

CONTACT:

Benjamin J. Kirby
202-842-4101 x103

Parkinson's Action Network Applauds Bi-Partisan Congressional Coalition Urging President To Expand Stem Cell Policy

Castle/DeGette/Cunningham/Dooley Letter with 206 Signatures Transmitted to President Bush

(Washington, D.C.) - The Parkinson's Action Network (PAN) today participated in an event in support of an open letter
to President Bush urging him to relax the current overbearing restrictions on the promising area of stem cell research.
 At a press event on Capitol Hill today, a letter, bearing the names of 206 Members of Congress, was released by
Representative Michael Castle (R-DE), Representative Diana DeGette (D-CO), Representative Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-
CA), and Representative Calvin Dooley (D-CA).  The Representative were joined by Representative Jim Moran (D-VA) and
Representative Christopher Shays (R-CT), as well as Mary Tyler Moore, the International Chairman of the Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation, and a broad coalition of other medical and patient advocacy organizations.

"This event and this letter send a strong message to the Administration that the current stem cell policy is far too
restrictive, and must be revisited," said PAN Executive Director Amy Comstock, who attended the event. "PAN looks
forward to continuing our important work with this bi-partisan group, as well as with the 69 members of our Bi-Cameral
Caucus and Working Group on Parkinson's Disease.  Together, we can ensure that this significant avenue of medical
research will become available - and stay available - for scientists across America."

The current Administration policy states that federal funds may only be used for research on embryonic stem cell
cultures created prior to August 9, 2001.  Under this policy, stem cell lines that qualify for federal funding are not
genetically or racially diverse enough to meet research needs.  Also, developing future therapies with the current stem
cell lines may prove impossible since cell lines cultivated in the past were exposed to mouse "feeder" cells, and may
not be acceptable under federal regulations on biological materials drawn from more than one species.  Researchers are
also hesitant to use these lines for patient therapies when newer, non-contaminated stem cell colonies are being
developed beyond the reach of the Administration's policy by private organizations and in other countries.

"As Representative DeGette said earlier today, we must not allow scientists who want to do stem cell research in the
United States to take their talents and expertise - and the important research dollars that follow them - to other
countries," said Comstock. "Every day that this restrictive policy remains in place is a day lost for science."

Founded in 1991, PAN is the unified education and advocacy voice of the Parkinson's community-over one million
Americans and their families.

Through education and interaction with the Parkinson's community, scientists, lawmakers, opinion leaders, and the
public, PAN fights for a cure by increasing awareness about Parkinson's disease and seeks increased federal support for
Parkinson's research.

For more information on the Parkinson's Action Network, please visit http://www.parkinsonsaction.org or call 1-800-850-
4726.

-- 30 --

Click the icon below to view the letter sent to the President and the 206 signatures, or visit our website to view it
at
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/stemcellletter.pdf

 <<Stemcell ltr to pres 4-28-04.pdf>>
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/stemcellletter.pdf

Thanks so much for all that you did to make this a reality!  We never would have gotten 206 signatures without all your
calls, letters, and e-mails.  Together we really do make a difference!

Good work, everyone!

Best-Laura Jane

Laura Jane Cohen
Director of Outreach
Parkinson's Action Network
1000 Vermont Ave., NW
Suite 900
Washington, D.C. 20005
ph: 202-842-4101  ext. 104
or 800-850-4726
fax: 202-842-4105
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org

SOURCE: Parkinson's Action Network (PAN)
http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/

* * *