Gail and others -

The pics are good, but they cannot begin to tell you what a simply wonderful
event we had!  My first walk was in 2000, walking with Team PLWP (People
Living With Parkinson's) as I have done since that date.  I had already met
some new and forever friends at the PAN Forum a few weeks prior (Gail,
Murray & Brenda, etc.), but there they were again at an award ceremony given
by PLWP the evening prior to the Walk.

It rained the day prior to the Walk, turned very cool the day after, but the
skies opened up and smiled nothing but a bright and sunny day on Saturday,
April 24th.  And although there were some 7,000+ people milling around, I
ran into many I knew.  I was there cheering when speeches, presentations,
and recognitions were made by Martin Tuchman, Ken Aidekman, Bren Tucker &
Nan Abraham, the Honorable Carolyn Maloney, Murray Charters, Amy Comstock
(PAN), Carol Walton, Robin Elliott (PDF), Dr. Nathan Slewett, Michelle
Charlesworth (ABC-TV anchorwoman), and even Michael J. Fox (and others I
cannot recall right now).  But when Margot Zoebel stepped up to the podium,
I experienced a rush of unimaginable emotion.

Margot is founder of the Unity Walk and a person living with Parkinson's.  I
have watched her since 2000 proudly, yet humbly stand and promote raising
money for research.  I know from my own experience that there have been
times that she simply was giving all she had to be there, yet there she was.
To me she is an icon of all icons when it comes to PD.  What started as an
idea "to help fund research" has grown to be of such broader magnitude.  The
Unity Walk is not only a fundraiser, but a "fun" raiser and a place where
families and friends show their loved ones support.  It is a place where
people  network year after
year.  And finally, it is a place where hope is built.

This was the first year that my husband was able to attend.  He could feel
the spirited atmosphere that I had been telling him about for the past four
years.  He saw people become charged with enthusiasm and satisfaction in
knowing that they were making a difference. Thank you, Margot, for your
insight - your motivation -and the tenacity that you and your many, many
volunteeers have built in bringing back a bigger and better Parkinson's
Unity Walk each year.

(Margot's speech at this year's Unity Walk can be found here:
http://www.unitywalk.org/margot.shtml ).