Hello List members,

I have been silent for a long time but I couldn’t resist doing a
little follow up on the Nitric oxide discovery at John’s Hopkins.

After reading about the damage caused by too much nitric oxide in
PWP’s I did a little search and discovered that Interferon-beta-1-b
(IFN-ß) decreases induced Nitric Oxide (NO) production by a human
astrocytoma cell line.

Is this interferon available to PWP’s and can it be used clinically
today? Wouldn’t that be a revolutionary change in PD treatment.

Regards

Bob Martone

Interferon-beta-1-b (IFN-ß) Decreases Induced Nitric Oxide (NO)
Production By A Human Astrocytoma Cell Line

Guthikonda P, Baker J, Mattson DH
J NeuroImmunol 1998 Mar 1;82(2):133-9
Univ of Pennsylvania, Student School of Dentistry, Philadelphia 19104,
USA

  _____

<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Display&d
opt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=98246901> UI# 98246901
Abstract

Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase (iNOS) is expressed by
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/gloss1-g.html#Astrocyte> Astrocytes in
DeMyelinating regions of Multiple Sclerosis (
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/gloss1-m.html#MS> MS) Brain plaques,
suggesting that NO contributes to MS pathology.

Since the ImmunoSuppressive
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/gloss1-c.html#Cytokines> Cytokine IFN-ß
ameliorates MS disease activity, it is of interest to assess the
modulatory role of IFN-ß on NO production.

We studied the effects of IFN-ß, as well as Dexamethasone, IL-10, and
Transforming Growth Factor-ß (TGF-ß), on Cytokine-induced NO
production by the human Astrocytoma cell line, A172.

L-NMMA and Aminoguanidine, competitive inhibitors of iNOS suppressed
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/nitric-oxide_axons.html#1#1> NO production
as measured by the NO byproduct, Nitrite, as did
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/gloss1-i.html#beta> Interferon-ß.

Dexamethasone enhanced NO production, and IFN-ß decreased the amount
of the enhancement. Neither
<http://www.albany.net/~tjc/interleukin.html#IL-10> IL-10 nor TGF-ß
inhibited Nitrite production.

The therapeutic effect of IFN-ß in MS may be partly due to suppression
of Pathogenic NO production.