Thanks, Caroline, I'll keep you in mind; I'm sure some questions will
arise, and it's comforting to know I can consult you.  Congratulations on
the award.  I'll have to find out if the right people at UCC know about
your product.

Susan

At 08:36 PM 18/05/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>For what it's worth, I've been producing aa series of fifteen videos at
York University in the area of
>career development and job search. We've called this resource the Career
CyberGuide - it has just
>been awarded the National Association of Career Educator's award for
educational excellence. You
>can view it at www.yorku.ca/careers - navigate to 'virtual resources'
(this is a temporary interface
>- it is in the process of being redesigned) - you'll need to open it up in
Windows Explorer and have
> [...]
be working on expanding
>the CyberGuide both in terms of breadth and interactivity. We used
resources and expertise all
>available on campus - largely for online courses. I'll be presenting on
using the technology called
>MediaSite Live at the Canadaian Association of Distance Education at York
in June. I'd be happy to
>answer any questions about process or production.
>
>Carolyn
>
>Quoting Susan Bell <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> Thanks, Tania,
>>
>> I am so glad to hear you suggest a possibility that we have entertained:
>> that of being a resource provider.  We're starting off in a small way, but
>> if we succeed at that level, I like the idea of moving on to other levels
>> by connecting with the expertise at UCC and in the community.  Sounds like
>> I need to go into partnership with a production company--also campus
>> talent, I hope.
>>
>> Thank you, everyone, for your encouragement,
>> Susan
>>

>> At 10:50 AM 11/05/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>> >Susan, If you do produce such a video, programs/institutions might be
>> >interested in purchasing it.  However, my dream would be for a broader
>> >collection.  I wish I had access to not just tutoring videos, but
>> >student peer review group videos, inkshedding videos, editing
>> >consultation videos, usability test videos, and also writing-research
>> >videos in which people do interviews of writers or speak-aloud
>> >protocols.  Just imagine what a useful collection a video / DVD with
>> >chapters such as these would be for teachers of writing, writing
>> >centers, professional writing programs, and research methods classes! I
>> >believe Prof. Wegner at Douglas College was creating one of the latter
>> >videos (speak-aloud protocols in Professional Writing).
>> >
>> >Last fall I looked into the costs of making videos here at U of C since
>> >video-making staff at the Learning Commons professionally does such
>> >things, but I feared it was too expensive for our faculty.  (I still
>> >have the price quotes if you are interested).  But if one could prove
>> >that there is interest in purchasing such a video, it might look more
>> >realistic to get funding for all that work.  I wonder if textbook
>> >publishing companies will get into that kind of product and make online
>> >videos to accompany texts.

>> from

>> >    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>> >              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>> >                 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>> >
>> Susan Bell
>> Coordinator
>> The Writing Centre
>> Room OM2674
>> Phone 371-5689
>> Office OM2678
>> Phone 371-5977
>> University College of the Cariboo

>>     its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>>               http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to

Susan Bell
Coordinator
The Writing Centre
Room OM2674