Hi everyone,

I use some videos from North Carolina State University.  They are
called "A look at Productive Tutoring Techniques" and you can preview
them and order them online by going to:
http://www.ncsu.edu/tutorial_center/ttvideo_main.html

The videos illustrate important principles such as positive
reinforcement, listening skills, building on the students' own ideas,
the importance of student verbalization, questioning skills, helping
the student become an independent learner, and "direct techniques" for
students who need more structure.  The modules are illustrated by clips
from genuine tutoring sessions in a variety of subject areas.  There
are a few instances from a writing tutorial, but the rest of the
examples are from tutorials in chemistry, physics, algebra, calculus,
and Spanish.

I find the videos helpful as training aids.  I often recruit a more
experience tutor to present one or two modules during a training
session.  (There are suggested activities etc along with each module,
so these are active sessions).  We draw on the tutors' experience to
apply the techniques in the video to our particular tutoring context.

It would be great to have a Canadian, writing-centred video series!
Keep us posted on this exciting project.

Jen Gilbert

Carleton University
520-2600 ext. 1101

Margaret Procter wrote:

>Dear Susan and all --
>
>The U Vic Critical Incidents videos are described at
>http://web.uvic.ca/terc/critical_incidents/index.htm, with purchasing
>information included. They're meant for new faculty and TAs, but some of
>the situations would be relevant to writing tutors. The first one on the
>first tape, for instance, shows a dependent student coming to ask his
>prof for ideas for an essay.
>
>Did somebody mention the SFU videos shot in their writing centre a few
>years ago? They were based on the speak-aloud protocol method being used
>for research I don't see them listed on the SFU site now
>(http://www.sfu.ca/cwil/  -- worth visiting for its own sake, though!),
>but maybe Wendy Strachan can let us know if they're still available.
>
>Margaret
>
>--
>Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
>University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support
>15 King's College Circle, Toronto ON M5S 3H7
>416 978-8109; FAX 416 971-2027

>http://www.utoronto.ca/writing
>

>Susan Bell wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Jo-Anne,
>>
>>The series you suggest sounds interesting; some aspects might apply,
but it
>>does sound directed to a specific type of teacher.  Do you know where I
>>might look for these tapes?
>>
>>Susan
>>
>>At 04:25 PM 07/05/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Susan,
>>>I think there is a series of "Critical Incident" videos that focus on
T.A.
>>>development. I recall seeing one video in the series in which a student
comes
>>>to a TA to complain of a poor grade on a paper. I don't know how
transferable
>>>this series would be to tutor training.
>>>Jo-Anne Andre
>>>U of C