Dear Susan and all --

The U Vic Critical Incidents videos are described at
http://web.uvic.ca/terc/critical_incidents/index.htm, with purchasing
information included. They're meant for new faculty and TAs, but some of
the situations would be relevant to writing tutors. The first one on the
first tape, for instance, shows a dependent student coming to ask his
prof for ideas for an essay.

Did somebody mention the SFU videos shot in their writing centre a few
years ago? They were based on the speak-aloud protocol method being used
for research I don't see them listed on the SFU site now
(http://www.sfu.ca/cwil/  -- worth visiting for its own sake, though!),
but maybe Wendy Strachan can let us know if they're still available.

Margaret

--
Margaret Procter, Ph.D.
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

http://www.utoronto.ca/writing