If you want to try out the software, go to the Knowledge Analysis Technologies
webpage at http://www.knowledge-technologies.com/, then click on the link to the
Intelligent Essay Assessor (http://www.knowledge-technologies.com/IEA.html).
I've tried out a previous product that said it graded summaries, and found that
the vaunted "latent semantic analysis" consisted of counting up keywords. The
headings and links to US Army projects in this website don't offer much hope
that the essays expected will include much critical thinking or free exploration
of ideas either.

Here's an excerpt from a press release of a few years ago (still online at
http://lsa.colorado.edu/essay_press.html). It also doesn't let the idea of
thinking interfere with the aim of measuring. Note the use of the term
"learning" to refer to the machines in the second sentence here, and the
apparent reduction of the student to "it" in the last sentence:

 > First the software program is "fed" information about a topic in the form of
50,000 to 10 million words from on-line textbooks or other sources. It learns
from the text and then assigns a mathematical degree of similarity or "distance"
between the meaning of each word and any other word. This allows students to use
different words that mean the same thing and receive the same score. For
example, they could use "physician" instead of "doctor."

 > The program then evaluates essays in two primary ways. The first is for a
teacher or professor to grade enough essays to provide a good statistical sample
and then use the software to grade the remainder.

 > "It takes the combination of words in the student essay and computes its
similarity to the combination of words in the comparison essays," Laham said.
The student then receives the same grade as the human-graded essays to which it
is most closely matched.

Margaret Procter
University of Toronto

--
(Dr.) Margaret Procter
University of Toronto Coordinator, Writing Support

(416) 978-8109; FAX (416) 971-2027
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing