Thanks, Marcy! I like this line from Sartwell's piece:

"Today's educational establishment is making actual illiteracy look good, like
an act of humanity and rebellion. Writing, which might nurture and give shape to
thought, is instead being used to pound it into a powder and then reconstitute
it into gruel."

While I would hope (short of senility) never to lapse into a (William) Safirian
mode of self-righteous pronouncements and prescriptions about language use, I
have to say that I found Sartwell's turn of phrase here engaging.

Graham

--
Graham Smart