Thanks, Marcy! I like these lines from Sartwell's piece:

"Today's educational establishment is making actual illiteracy look
good, like an act of humanity and rebellion. Writing, which might
nurture and give shape to thought, is instead being used to pound it
into a powder and then reconstitute
it into gruel."

While I would hope (short of senility) never to lapse into a (William)
Safirian mode of self-righteous pronouncements and prescriptions about
language use, I have to say I found Sartwell's turn of phrase here
engaging.

Graham

***************************
Graham Smart