To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [techrhet] FW: lobotomized school of writing (fwd)

Marcy Bauman wrote:

> This article URL was posted to another list I'm on where people are also
> discussing the Indiana decision to score essays with computers.  My
> favorite part of this piece is:
>
> "I am not particularly concerned about the youth of today, and if the
world
> goes to hell I don''t really care. But I do care about coming to the
middle
> of a semester and reading 35 5-page papers that seem to have been written
> by boulders."
>
>       The above quote reeks of teacher burn-out. And maybe after 6 months in
the trenches teaching nothing by 9th graders (my daughter is in 9th
grade)in some inner-city, Indiana public school, I too might not give a
damn.

        But I realize that no matter how underpayed I've been as a university
lecturer, or how bad the teaching conditions are, the one thing that has
kept me going and feeling young (if not in body at least at heart) is
hanging out with a lot of students, two-, going on 3-times younger than
        myself. Maybe the occasional stumbling rock, but not a "boulder" among
them.

        As my 87 year-old father once said after spending his first winter      in
Florida, I won't go back! I don't like hanging out with old people.

        Best, Charlotte Hussey