A number of you took the time to send me very helpful insights, advice,
program descriptions and links to syllabi last week, in response to my
query on composition programs at Canadian universities. Thank you so
much for all of your help. My meeting with the Memorial University Arts
Faculty's Academic Planning Committee went really well. They seemed to
take very seriously the message that a for-credit composition course
would benefit our students, that it would have to be taught by people
committed to and versed in composition studies, that instituting a
writing placement test would be a misuse of our limited resources...

I believe that they are now going to consider developing and offering
such a course in four or five sections, as a pilot project. I don't know
at what point they'll invite me to join them in their discussions again,
but I now have a host of wonderful information to pore over, in
preparation for their further questions (and  _they_ have some good
sources to peruse, themselves, thanks to you in CASLL).

I will let the list know of any further developments here. But
meanwhile, thank you for your collective insights and perspectives; they
were invaluable in helping me to prepare for my big discussion.

Ginny Ryan
Memorial University of Newfoundland Writing Centre