Diane, thanks for your insightful message.  However, I think those who
brought up portfolios were thinking about their use at an institutional
level to replace student placement exams that test students' writing
skills, and not within specific courses.

Nevertheless, your message is quite relevant to the concerns of the
people on this listserv, and I'm interested in what you've said.  I've
had a similar experience as you.  In my graduate studies in the US, I
was taught about the theory and practice of portfolios in writing
courses, and I used the portfolio system (modifying it sometimes much as
you did) quite successfully when teaching in the US.

Let me share with my peers a short cautionary tale about the portfolio
system travelling across cultural and institutional contexts.  I
transported the portfolio system here at the Univ. of Calgary to a
fairly new and large, interdisciplinary course.  To test it more safely,
the portfolio was worth only 20% of the final grade, and only meant for
small regular assignments.  However, our teaching assistants and
students were utterly mystified by it, and unfortunately, due to the
various complexities and stresses of running this new course, they
didn't understand how to handle the portfolio system until near the end
of the course.

Most of our university students are not used to this "process" pedagogy
in writing classes, nor even to taking classes that focus on writing
skills, and they are also very dependent on grades in their feedback.
They didn't even understand what a "draft" was for in a course.  When we
didn't give grades on these small assignments and instead asked students
to look at each other's work to learn from their peers, they thought at
first that the assignments were therefore absolutely worthless busywork,
or that the instructors were just being lazy and not grading in a
reasonable period of time, or that we were cruelly keeping their grades
a secret from them.  Then when they figured it out later in the term,
they felt they had worked way too hard on the draft (and I believe they
certainly did overwork themselves, they and the TAs treating an informal
task as if it were worth a huge amount of their grade), and that it was
punishment or unfair extra work to be told they needed to resubmit it,
revised if they wished, for the final portfolio where it would be graded.

Mainly because of this cultural disconnect and the failure to
communicate the concept effectively in a stressful situation, compounded
with the grading issues that you yourself mention arising when final
portfolios came in, the next instructors of the course decided to throw
out the portfolio system.

I still think it's a very effective system when it's explained well and
understood.  I still use it in my own classes of 30 students or less
where I believe it can be very successful in actually teaching students
to learn through revision and peer feedback.  However, to adapt it to
the student culture here at the U of C, I now assign provisional grades
along the way so they feel like they are getting useful feedback, and so
I have a sense of approximately how good the student work was before
revision.  So here's my caution-- if one uses it where there is a
culture that is not accustomed to learning through such methods, you
need to work extra hard at the beginning of a course explaining how and
why you are doing it, and you need to adapt it somehow to that
educational culture.