Hiya,

Just my 2 cents on the return of the 5 paragraph essay as part and parcel of
the back-to-basic agenda. A friend of mine who teachs ESL students made a
good case for her use of it. She said that English grammar works primarily
with the notion of subordination. Also, our essay is all about subordinating
sub-points under a thesis statement, etc. Ditto for paragarph development.
She says that in other cultures this linear progression is not necessarily
the case. Some structure their essaylike writings on the circle, the
zig-zag, the near Biblical freight-train style of "and the rain descended
and the floods came, and the winds blew" and other such intriguing forms.

Said friend feels that she must teach her ESL students the 5 paragraph essay
in order to introduce them to the logic and structure used to write academic
papers. Of course, her students don't just write 5 paragraph essays, but
they start out doing so.

I hear what she's saying. As English goes global, we can't expect all the
international students flooding into our courses to have the same intuitive
grasp of the rules and forms we have been teethed on. We can scoff at and
break the rules of the five paragraph essay easily, because they are second
nature to most native speakers. But what about our students with ESL
backgrounds??

It's similar to the argument that the first wave of poets to write
free-verse, ie. William Carlos, Ezra Pound, H.D. were the best, because they
had internalized the rules of formal verse and could echo, or break them at
will. In otherwords they/we have had the proper ear-training..... But is
this the case with all are students no matter where they hail from??

Best, Charlotte Hussey