Mrs. Reagan speaks out for stem cell research
By Reuters  -  May 10, 2004

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- Nancy Reagan made an impassioned call for taking controversial stem cell research out of the
political arena, saying it could help cure illnesses like Alzheimer's, which so sorely afflicts her husband.

At a celebrity-packed dinner in Beverly Hills Saturday night, the wife of the former president lent a powerful
conservative Republican voice to the debate. The Bush administration and antiabortion groups strongly oppose stem cell
research.

Speaking to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Reagan noted that Alzheimer's had taken her husband, Ronald
Reagan, "to a distant place where I can no longer reach him and share our 52 years."

She added after accepting the group's Care Giver's Award, "Science has presented us with a hope called stem cell
research, which may provide our scientists with many answers that for so long have been beyond our grasp. I just don't
see how we can turn our backs on this.

"We have lost so much time already. I just really can't bear to lose any more."

Letters from former presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton supporting Reagan's efforts on embryonic
stem cell research were read to the dinner by actors Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart. There was no comment from the
Bush administration, which has placed severe restrictions on stem cell research, because it can involve using cells
from human embryos.

Organizers of the event, which also raised money for stem cell research, said it was the first time that Reagan had
made a public speech on the issue, though her views have long been known.

Actor Michael J. Fox, a supporter of stem cell research because it could help lead to a cure for Parkinson's disease
from which he suffers, said, "For someone like Mrs. Reagan to step outside of political or ideological groupings and
just speak to what she believes . . . can help people is tremendously valuable," he said.

SOURCE: Reuters / Boston Globe, MA - May 9, 2004
http://tinyurl.com/22c2r

* * *

Nancy Reagan Backs Stem Cell Research
Palm Beach Post, FL - May 9, 2004

Nancy Reagan told a star-studded Los Angeles crowd Saturday night that stem cell research must be pursued "to save
families from the pain" of debilitating illnesses like Alzheimer's disease, which afflicts former President Reagan.

In rare remarks aimed at influencing national public policy, the former first lady, guest of honor at a Juvenile
Diabetes Research Foundation fundraiser, declared, "I am determined to do whatever I can."

Reagan said that Alzheimer's had taken her husband "to a distant place where I can no longer reach him," according to
the Los Angeles Times.

Stem cell research held hope for a cure, she added. "I don't see how we can turn our backs on this," she said. "We have
lost so much time. I just can't bear to lose any more."

Saturday's event marked the first time she has spoken publicly in favor of the research, for which President Bush
limited federal funding in 2001, following a politically charged debate.

Actor Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's disease and now runs a foundation that supports stem cell research, presented
the former first lady with a Caregiver's Award. It was a tribute to her commitment in caring for her ailing husband,
93, who revealed 10 years ago that he had Alzheimer's. The former president no longer makes public appearances and is
cared for by his wife in their Bel-Air home.

-----

SOURCE: Palm Beach Post, FL - May 9, 2004
http://tinyurl.com/3977j

* * *