Parkinson's Patient Back On Par (DBS)
By BILL LAYE, CALGARY SUN - Fri, May 14, 2004

For Parkinson's patient Mike Reitsma, every golf game now is a gift from God -- and some pretty impressive medical
magic. "I can't walk (18 holes), but I can walk nine -- I couldn't do that last fall," said Reitsma, 60, who recently
underwent three operations to treat the disease.

Parkinson's is an as-yet incurable disease which attacks the brain's ability to communicate with other parts of the
body.

Before the surgery in January, the Calgarian, whose four children include Atlanta Braves pitcher Chris Reitsma, told
his story to the Sun.

Since the surgery, which involved two operations to put electrodes deep into the centre of his brain and one to connect
the two to a sort of regulating pacemaker, he says he's got his life -- and his game -- back.

"It's almost as if I'd been born again, physically speaking," the retired pastor said yesterday while being checked out
at the University of Calgary's medical facility.

His doctor is also most impressed.

"He looks great," said University of Calgary neurosurgeon and researcher Zelma Kiss.

"At this point, he's off of his Parkinson's medications, so he's doing very well."

While she's quick to point out electrode stimulation therapy like this is being done on many centres these days, and
it's definitely not a cure, U of C researchers continue to make strides.

"It really has revolutionized the treatment of Parkinson's disease because 10 years ago we didn't have a good
treatment," Kiss said.

SOURCE: Calgary Sun, Canada - Fri, May 14, 2004
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/News/2004/05/14/459140.html

* * *