*** "The gala marks an important milestone in the unification of diseases
that
can benefit from stem cell research.... "

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Pays Tribute to Nancy Reagan at
the 'Finding a Cure ... A Love Story' Gala to Benefit Stem Cell Research

             Michael J. Fox Presents Former First Lady with Award

    LOS ANGELES, May 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF) paid tribute to former first Lady Nancy Reagan today at
the
"Finding a Cure ... A Love Story" event to benefit stem cell research,
which
raises hopes for the treatment of diabetes and other chronic diseases.
    Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's disease, presented the tribute
award
to Mrs. Reagan for her commitment to the fight for a cure while
witnessing
daily, the ravaging effects of Alzheimer's on her beloved husband.  Mrs.
Reagan joined more than 100 Nobel Laureate scientists to endorse stem
cell
research as the future for many cures.
    The gala marks an important milestone in the unification of diseases
that
can benefit from stem cell research, which is presently the most
promising
approach to finding a cure for Type 1 diabetes.  During the gala,
Harrison
Ford and Calista Flockhart read letters from Presidents Ford, Carter and
Clinton all voicing support for Mrs. Reagan's commitment to finding a
cure.
    "Nancy Reagan has inspired all of us with her complete devotion to
her
husband and the often forgotten task of the daily caregiver.  For the
millions
of Americans who struggle with the disease of a family member, her
trusted
voice has brought new hope to the fight for stem cell research," said
honorary
co-chairman Lucy Fisher.
    Master of Ceremonies Larry King welcomed and entertained guests
throughout
the evening and introduced speakers Dustin Hoffman and Leeza Gibbons.
Dustin
Hoffman presented Novo Nordisk with the Angel Award for its leadership in
diabetes care.  Leeza Gibbons, who has long fought for a cure for
juvenile
diabetes, gave remarks on stem cell research.  Music legend James Taylor
performed for guests following a children's choir that sang Promise to
Remember Me.
    The gala is JDRF's first fundraising event specifically in support of
stem
cell research, from which many researchers believe the cure for diabetes,
Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other diseases may be identified.
Approximately
128 million individuals could be successfully treated or cured by stem
cell
research.
    "JDRF is one of the leading health organizations supporting and
funding
stem cell research.  To support this, JDRF created a new Stem Cell
Development
Fund which seeks to raise $20 million for this important field of
research,"
said Peter Van Etten, president of JDRF.  "Companies like Novo Nordisk
are
making it possible to reach our goals of finding a cure for more than 128
million people."
    Presented by Dustin Hoffman, Novo Nordisk received the Angel Award
for
their continued support in stem cell research.  "Novo Nordisk is proud to
be
recognized with the Angel Award from the Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation
for our dedication to diabetes care and research and continued support of
stem
cell research.  As a world leader in diabetes care, Novo Nordisk is
dedicated
to improving the lives of people with diabetes, and finding a cure is
part of
our vision," said Martin Soeters, president of Novo Nordisk
Pharmaceuticals,
Inc.

    About JDRF
    The mission of JDRF is to find a cure for diabetes and its
complications
through the support of research.  The leading charitable underwriter and
advocate for juvenile (Type 1) diabetes research worldwide, JDRF is the
leading health organization that has publicly supported and funded stem
cell
research.

 SOURCE Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Web Site: http://www.jdrf.org
---
Source: reuters

Nancy Reagan Calls for Stem Cell Research
Sun May 09, 2004 08:43 AM ET

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Reuters) - Former First Lady Nancy Reagan made an
impassioned call for taking controversial stem cell research out of the
political arena, saying it could help cure illnesses like Alzheimer's,
which so sorely afflicts her husband.
With the Bush administration and anti-abortion groups strongly opposing
stem cell research, Mrs. Reagan at a celebrity-packed dinner in Beverly
on Saturday night lent a powerful conservative Republican voice to the
debate.

Speaking to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Mrs. Reagan noted
that Alzheimer's had taken her husband Ronald Reagan "to a distant place
where I can no longer reach him and share our 52 years."

She added after accepting the group's "Care Giver's Award," "Science has
presented us with a hope called stem cell research, which may provide our
scientists with many answers that for so long have been beyond our grasp.
I just don't see how we can turn our backs on this.

"We have lost so much time already. I just really can't bear to lose any
more."

Letters from former presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton
supporting Mrs. Reagan's efforts on embryonic stem cell research were
read to the dinner by actors Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart. Absent
was any comment from the Bush administration which has placed severe
restrictions on stem cell research because it can involve using cells
from human embryos.

Organizers of the event, which also raised money for stem cell research,
said it was the first time that Mrs. Reagan had made a public speech on
the issue although her views have long been known.

Actor Michael J. Fox, a supporter of stem cell research because it could
help lead to a cure for Parkinson's disease from which he suffers, told
reporters that Mrs. Reagan was taking the issue out of politics.

"For someone like Mrs. Reagan to step outside of political or ideological
groupings and just speak to what she believes ... can help people is
tremendously valuable," he said.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=50818
75&section=news