STUDY: Key Protein Found In Dystonia Disorder

St. Louis, MO, May. 17 (UPI) -- Washington University School of Medicine researchers in St. Louis say they are one step
closer to understanding the movement disorder called dystonia.

The protein, torsinA, is defective in patients with DYT1 dystonia, an inherited condition that causes uncontrollable
movements in the limbs and torso. Learning what torsinA does could be an important step toward developing a treatment
for the disorder.

"The hope is that understanding as many forms of dystonia as we can will give us some insight into how we might treat
movement disorders generally," said Dr. Phyllis Hanson, assistant professor of cell biology and physiology and senior
investigator for the study.

She added:"Any new insights might also be helpful for understanding secondary dystonias. These are conditions in which
dystonia is a complication of another disorder, such as Parkinson's disease."

The study is published on the online Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and also appears in the May 18
print edition of the journal.

SOURCE: United Press International / Washington Times, DC
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040517-105133-7711r.htm

* * *