Thanks to Peg Willocks for her "challenge" and suggestions for writing
letters-to-the-editor.  I agree it is vitally important to join our
efforts with other disease organizations. Advocates for stem cell
research in New York have recently formed NYAMR (New Yorkers for the
Advancement of Medical Research) , inspired by similar coalitions in
other states such as Texas, California and New Jersey. A press release
announcing the formation of  NYAMR and  its member organizations is
below. Please forward this information to all of your family or friends
who live in New York
Linda Herman

PRESS RELEASE:

BROAD COALITION LAUNCHED TO PASS STEM CELL RESEARCH LEGISLATION IN NEW
YORK STATE

(New York, NY -- April 28, 2004) - A coalition of activists have come
together from across New York who are interested in state legislation
that supports stem cell research. New Yorkers for the Advancement of
Medical Research (NYAMR) primarily includes disease organizations
representing the tens of thousands of New Yorkers who suffer from
diseases whose potential treatment and cure could ultimately result from
stem cell research. In addition, other organizations have joined forces
with them, such as Columbia University Medical Center, AMDEC
(representing medical research institutions in NYS) and Hadassah.

funding of stem cell research to the lines that existed at that time,
states are now moving to pass legislation to permit wider research.
California and New Jersey have recently passed such legislation and are
being used as models for NYAMR.

In 2003, New York State Assembly Speaker, Sheldon Silver (D-64)
introduced a pro-stem cell research bill into the Assembly, which passed
but stalled in the Senate. Assemblyman Silver has once again introduced
the bill. The coalition is trying to secure passage in the Senate this
time around.

Coalition members to date include: Parkinson's Disease Foundation;
Parkinson's Action Network; Parkinson Alliance; Tourette's Syndrome
Association; Lupus Foundation of America; Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation; American Diabetes Association; Project ALS; Christopher Reeve
Paralysis Foundation; Columbia University Medical Center; Biotechnology
Association of New York; AMDEC, Community Health Charities of New York;
and Hadassah.

For further information and to find out how YOU can help, contact Jen
Wineman, NYAMR coordinator at PDF - 800-457-6676.